Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Exploring Maryland's Genealogical Resources

https://mdgensoc.org/
Moving to the East Coast puts me in the middle of a couple of hundred extra years of history and genealogy. But unfortunately, all of my family lines go to New England and particularly Massachusetts, Rhode Island and some in Connecticut. But I am glad for the opportunity to help digitize records here in Maryland. During the time I am here, I will be exploring the resources of Maryland and the surrounding states and maybe even up in New England.

I can start off with the Maryland Genealogical Society. The Maryland Genealogical Society was established quite recently in 1959. The Society works in partnership with the Maryland Historical Society, the state's oldest continuously operating cultural institution.



Here is a description of the Maryland Historical Society from their website:
Founded in 1844, the Maryland Historical Society (MdHS) is the state’s oldest continuously operating cultural institution. In keeping with the founders’ commitment to preserve the remnants of Maryland’s past, MdHS remains the premier institution for state history. With over 350,000 objects and seven million books and documents, this institution now serves upward of 100,000 people through its museum, library, press, and educational programs.
I will also focus on the historical and genealogical resources in Washington, D.C. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment