Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Saturday, October 8, 2016

World War II Arizona Draft Registration Cards on FamilySearch.org

Draft registration cards are a valuable source of specific information about millions of Americans in the 20th Century. FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.com have both had extensive collections of these documents available for some time. But a new addition to the FamilySearch.org Historical Record Collections caught my eye when they added Arizona, World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1940-1945.

Here is the complete citation:
"Arizona, World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1940-1945." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Records extracted by FamilySearch and images digitized by Ancestry. Citing "Draft Registration Cards for Arizona, 10/16/1940 – 3/31/1947," NAID 4684505. Records of the Selective Service System, 1926 - 1975, RG 147. National Archives at St. Louis, Missouri.
You might note that the images were extracted by FamilySearch and digitized by Ancestry.

I searched for the Tanners in the database and found 87 results.


Of course, I knew a lot of these people listed and I did find a card for my own father.


Using the "Attach to Family Tree" option, I added this source to my father's entry on the Family Tree. 

Here is a copy of the original registration form:


One comment I can make from this form is that my father's handwriting was much better when he was young than it became when he was older. I also noted that he was unemployed. He shortly later joined the Army and ended up in the Army Air Corps. 

Finding these new records was a pleasant surprise. 

2 comments:

  1. I think I indexed a few batches of these a while back. I remember there was one person who had green eyes and there was no "other" option. I feel like they're a nice resource not just because they give the basic information like birth date but also because you get a few extra details about what they looked like and where they lived/worked at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now that collection is gone :-(

    ReplyDelete